Thursday, November 1, 2012

This was October

Ciao!
Today is November 1st...it was a wonderful October! I ate Mustarda (go here if you haven't read about that) , attended a very amusing birthday party for Nicola, Piero, Diletta, and Elisa, attended the AFS welcome camp, and began to understand generally what was going on.

Last night I carved a pumpkin with the boys. They wanted me to draw on paper the face for the jack-o-lantern. When I was done, they told me it was not scary enough so they changed it. Whatever. Here, Halloween is all about the scary. Everyone's costumes are supposed to be creepy (so there are no faries, ballerinas, "Dorothy"s, nerds, cowboy/girls, or any of that) they go full force in to the scary. Well, that's because here, Halloween is actually the day of the dead, and November 1st is All Saint's Day. See, here it actually has a bit of meaning, not just "give me candy!". Of course they think that Halloween is extravagant in the USA, which I guess it is in some places, but I think the look at the USA like it is God or something amazing like that. Which really, I think we are cool, and our country represents a lot, but I think people give us too much credit...I don't want to start a debate so I will hush up on that now.

Today I went to the "sagra" basically it is this big market/fair rides thing in the center of Monselice. It was crazy. So many people, you kind of had to waddle in some places since there were too many people to walk normally. All of the fair rides were pretty similar to ones back in the USA. I went on bumper cars with Enrico. I hope he passes his driving test, that was very very scary. Hahaha! Nicola loved the train, and then the fun house, I enjoyed watching them do all of that. Then we walked through the market and that's when the waddling came in :) But there was this place that you could buy...salami...but it was not exactly salami...oh well. Anyway it was huge. Here is a picture. They use these really, really long knives to cut it into chunks and then you use your slicer at home to make sandwich meat out of it.


I will post more pictures of the sagra tomorrow because I am going there with my friends tomorrow.

Upon my sister's request, I am working on taking pictures of my life here, my room, my school, my family, my friends, my favorite gelato place, yeah things like that. I will post them all on FB hopefully Monday  and then I will post a few of them here as well.

Till then,
Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment